Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Munchkin Slice




I 'took a day off' today from officework to do a little baking. I had my bestie in New Zealand send me an updated copy of the infamous Edmonds Cookbook as my old one was falling to bits. The Edmonds Cookbook is every good cooks bible! It is full of those good wholesome nana foods. The new one has a pile of new recipes as well as the oldies, so I tried a slice that wasn't in my old Edmonds. It's called Munchkin slice and although it's not gluten free, it is chock full of goodness for kids with just a hint of sugary naughtiness to glue it all together.
I also made a ginger cake (for me! mmmmm) but it's still in the oven doing its thing, so I'll share the slice recipe while I'm waiting...
I've gone and got a 'baking' mark on my book already. Not sure if I'm proud that my book has been christened with baking goodness or whether I'm ticked that I messed up a brand new cookbook! The dilemnas of baking!
Anyway, the recipe...

1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
100g butter
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup sultanas (optional)
1 cup pumpkin kernels

In a saucepan, melt together the sugar, butter, apricot jam and golden syrup.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour in melted mixture. Mix together. Press firmly into a greased 20x30cm baking tray.
Bake at 180c for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly and cut into bars. Makes 18.

That's it! Took me all of, say, 10 minutes to throw it together and slap it in the oven! Too, too easy. With a little supervision over the stove, even the kids can make this one!
And how healthy is it? This one is a keeper for the school lunch box!

No comments: