Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Edmonds Ginger Cake

I am not a big cake fan but every now and then I get a cake hankering. Flicking through my new Edmonds Cookbook yesterday, I saw a Ginger Cake recipe. Hmm, haven't had one of Those for a while! I have a tried and true ginger cake recipe that I have been using for, oh, forever. But I thought I'd give this one a try. Not sure if it was my oven or the recipe but it did need a little longer in the oven that the recipe stated. And I have a fan force oven, so not sure what was going on there. Anyway, here's a share. Try it and let me know if it's as good as yours!



125g butter
1/2 cup sugar (I used brown but I'm sure white is as good)
3 Tbs golden syrup
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped crystallised ginger (I'm greedy on ginger, so I added a bit more)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sultanas (in ginger cake?! I think not. I omitted these)
1 tsp bi-carb soda (baking soda)
3/4 cup milk (I warmed the milk)

Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup until light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, ginger and mixed spice together. Add sifted dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with beaten eggs.
Stir in ginger, walnuts and sultanas. Dissolve baking soda in the milk and stir into the mixture.
Line a 20cm cake tin with brown paper, followed by baking paper. (I used 3 layers of baking paper).
Pour mixture into tin. Bake at 180c for 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

Dust with icing sugar and serve with a lovely cup of Tetleys!

4 comments:

Alisa said...

Delicious! What a great recipe! Hope you can come over and share this yummy treat over at Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit. Would also love a link to this post from our site.(This will direct Foodista readers to your blog)Here's how you can create inbound links from our site Check it out here. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! See you there! Thanks! Alisa @Foodista

ShellyH said...

Your cake looks delicous! I am now following your blog!

Claudia said...

I have never made ginger cake - and this looks so beautiful. Great recipe and pretty photo (I am photo-challenged). my family would love this.

Christine said...

This is awesome Ginger Cake. You see, we have this food site Foodista.com (http://www.foodista.com) that is a food and cooking encyclopedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques, or maybe you just like to write reviews about food, restaurant and recipes...why don't you visit us sometimes. And by the way, If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post. Just add the Foodista Widget
to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

I hope to see you there.

Cheers!